Diana and her husband had a dilapidated cinder block garage in their Oakland, California backyard, but instead of seeing it as an eyesore, they saw it as an opportunity! They turned the space into a lovely guest house called the Rockridge Casita for both family & friends and to rent out on Airbnb. In just four years the tiny house has paid for itself, meaning anything else they get from now on is profit that goes to support the couple and their two kids.
Inside there’s a lovely studio-style space with a queen bed and kitchenette, as well as an ensuite bathroom complete with a large walk-in shower and flush toilet.
When their kids are older, they plan to use the guest house as a homework/hangout space for them, but who knows what the future will bring. Huge thanks to Allison at Tiny Home Tours for the great video tour of this spot you can watch below.
Don’t miss other interesting tiny homes – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Oakland DIY Guest House from Cinderblock Garage
Here’s what the space looked like before!
The stunning cottage opens up to the patio.
There’s a little desk area next to the Queen-sized bed.
The kitchenette with a perfect spot to make coffee.
Luxury bathroom includes a shower with a skylight.
Would you stay in a lovely spot like this?
VIDEO: Garage Converted into Gorgeous 280 Sq Ft DIY Tiny House
- 280 Square feet
- Converted cinderblock garage (that was falling apart)
- Used as guest house and Airbnb rental
- Four years later it’s already paid for itself
- Queen bed
- Lovely outdoor patio/eating area
- Walk-in tiled shower
- Flush toilet
- Oakland, California
- 512 Sq. Ft. Cottage Dwell Guest House in the City by Kanga Room Systems
- Tegan’s Scottish Cottage Renovation in the Rural Countryside
- The Snoozy-Owl Pod: Perfect Cottage Getaway
Our big thanks to Allison for sharing! 🙏
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- 35-ft. Gooseneck Tiny House by Indigo River Tiny Homes - May 14, 2021
- Carrie and Dan’s 28′ x 10′ Tiny Home - May 14, 2021
- 100-Year-Old Adobe Home on a Pecan Orchard - May 13, 2021