There’s no chance of this family being caught without power! Dad Derek got the wild idea to move his wife and two young kids into a school bus, and he pulled out all the stops with his brilliantly-designed solar system, fold-down bench seat for safe car seat travel, and large IKEA-mattress-sized bunks for his littles to grow into.
They have a big kitchen with some cool dual-drawers that hide knives from little fingers, and an awesome toy/book drawer. Raising their kids on the road has given them amazing opportunities, and they look forward to “road-schooling” for years to come.
Don’t miss other interesting tiny homes like this one – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Thomas Bus Conversion for Family of 4
I love their produce baskets.
They prioritized space for family dinners.
VIDEO: Family of 4 in a DIY Skoolie
- Bored on vacation, Derek found pics of skoolies
- Dom thought he was crazy at first, but then thought she could do it
- They bought a bus
- Took about a year to finish it
- Large bunks for their two kids
- Flip-down bench seat for carseat placement
- Huge, well-designed solar array
- They Turned a Shuttle Bus into a Family Tiny Home
- Family’s Three-Bedroom DIY Tiny Home w/ Catio
- Family of 3 Paid off $200K in Debt Living in 5th Wheel!
Our big thanks to Tiny Home Tours for sharing! 🙏
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
‘If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
More Like This: Tiny Houses | Motorhomes | Bus Conversions | Conversions | Video Tour
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Natalie C. McKee
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Cookbook Author & Jewelry Maker’s Bus Conversion - March 26, 2023
- Their Stealthy Ambulance Conversion with Laundry Chute - March 25, 2023
- Their $22K Bus Conversion with a Murphy Bed - March 24, 2023
Seems like this couple have all they need! Great space that accommodates the couple and their two young kids. Love the larger stove & fridge (since they cook)!! Also the bunk beds for the kids and storage for them. They will require more as they get older but perfect for them right now and what a marvelous adventure for the family. (Love that most of these folks seem to gravitate to the warmer states — of course!!