Loren was in a baseball accident in his 20s that left him with paralyzed legs and limited arm mobility — but that didn’t stop him from converting a power wheelchair-accessible van with a fellow friend who uses a wheelchair! Now Loren and his wife, Karla, can take trips in the van, get into the wilderness and hopefully eventually move in full-time.
The van includes an arm lift to carry his wheelchair into the van, hand controls, and another zip-line-like lift to take him from the elevator bed to the driver’s seat. Everything is designed to allow him to turn his wheelchair inside the van and open/close things easily. This is one remarkable conversion! Enjoy the tour below.
Don’t miss other interesting tiny homes like this one – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Accessible Van Conversion for Quadriplegic Man & His Wife
He has a lift seat to take him from the bed to the driver’s seat.
There’s an arm lift to take his wheelchair into the van.
VIDEO: #Wheelchairvanlife – accessible van built by disabled owner w/ problem solving & innovation!
- He was disabled in a baseball accident in his 20s
- He has no use of his legs and reduced arm mobility
- There are hand-controls to drive the van
- An arm-style lift gets the wheelchair inside
- He can turn the wheelchair in the van
- Elevator bed allows storage for his hand-control bike
- Future plans to build a bathroom
- His Stealth, Wheelchair-access Cargo Camper with a Lift Bed
- Enjoying Wheelchair-Accessible VAN Life!
- He Built An Incredible Dome Teahouse For Wheelchair-Bound Brother
Our big thanks to Jenna for sharing!
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Bus and Van Life After Losing Her Mom - September 26, 2023
- Their Epic 4×4 Ambulance Conversion - September 26, 2023
- Incredible 38-ft. Tiny House with a Private Bedroom - September 25, 2023