You might have noticed that mall-shopping is becoming more and more outdated. Many giant malls that used to attract millions of adults (and teenagers) are being abandoned, but the oldest US mall has been renovated and transformed!
The Arcade in Providence, Rhode Island is now home to tons of “microlofts” between 250 and 800 sq. ft. There was so much interest in the apartments, there’s now a long waiting list, and there aren’t even model apartments open for show! When they first opened, apartments started at just $550/month, but the website no longer quotes that price.
Way to reuse and recycle, though, rather than tearing down a historical landmark! Do you think we’ll see more of this in the future?
Microloft Apartments in Oldest US Mall
Even so tiny, it’s very functional!
Your big window looks out on the central courtyard.
Video: Micro Lofts at the Arcade Providence
Video: Oldest US mall blends old/modern with 225 sq. ft. micro lofts
- One-bedroom units from 225-800 sq. ft.
- Kitchen with nearly full-sized refrigerator, sink, dishwasher and microwave
- Full bath with shower
- Built-in beds, seating and storage
- Gathering spaces including a common room with flat screen TV, Wi-Fi and porches
- Bike access: Outside ramp brings rider directly to bike storage room
- Additional lockable storage on basement level
- Coded security access for residents
- On-site laundry facilities
- Convenient access to public transportation
- Downtown conveniences including restaurants, theaters, shopping, art and culture, music and entertainment, gyms and car rentals
- Parking available at two nearby garages for a discounted monthly fee
Share this with your friends/family using the e-mail/social re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you liked this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with more! Thank you!
More Like This: Explore our Tiny Houses Section
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Barefoot Bandits: Family of 5 Travelling in Their Skoolie Conversion - August 14, 2020
- Videographer’s Stealth Budget Van Build (With a Toilet): $5.5K - August 14, 2020
- Sir Cedric Treehouse Airbnb Built Around 4-Foot-Wide Western Red Cedar - August 13, 2020