What an inspirational couple! When neurological issues forced Tanya to retire early, she started looking at #vanlife. Her husband, Derec, is in a wheelchair and didn’t think it would be possible to adjust to life on the road or get a vehicle that met his needs.
With the help of the VA, the couple got a wheelchair lift, a special driver’s seat, and hand controls for their van. They tow a bathroom cargo trailer behind the vehicle so Derec has plenty of space, and they lowered the bed inside the van for easier transfers. Now the couple is working on a foundation and grants for other people in wheelchairs wanting to get outside the “four walls” and experience nature. What do you think of their setup?
Don’t miss other interesting tiny homes like this one – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Full-Time Van Travel with Disabilities
Here’s Derec’s special adjustable chair.
The wheelchair lift fits underneath the van, so it doesn’t take up room inside.
VIDEO: Van Life with a Disability – DIY Ford Transit
- Tanya was a nurse and all was well until health complications forced her to retire early
- Derec was retired when they married and in a wheelchair
- Tanya wanted #vanlife! Derec didn’t think they could do it
- They did it!
- He has a separate bathroom cargo area they pull behind
- Lower bed for easier transfer
- Service dog
- Hand controls for the van
- Bathroom inside the van
- Follow the couple on Instagram
- Subscribe to their YouTube Channel
- Subscribe to Tiny Home Tours on YouTube
- His Son Had a Stroke & They Went Tiny Together
- The Highly Sensitive Minimalist and Her Mint Tiny House
- He Got Sober Building This Military Overlander Tiny House For $37,000
Our big thanks to Tiny Home Tours for sharing!
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
More Like This: Tiny Houses | Motorhomes | Van Conversions| Van Dwelling | Van Life | Vans | Video Tours | Conversions | Vehicles
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Natalie C. McKee
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- The N1 at ESCAPE Village Now Has a Carport - June 6, 2023
- Couple’s Gorgeous Skoolie w/ Office, Bathroom & Tons of Storage - June 6, 2023
- Jazz Musician’s Epic 25-Inch Roof Raise Skoolie - June 6, 2023
My Rv is good just to travel in maybe sleep in while on a short trip out of town.
But to live in not for me . I do need more room than that. Like a living room, a bigger bedroom w closet.
Then my kitchen and down the hall bathroom. Soo more space for me is needed.
What an amazing love story! The van is so cool, but you guys are the coolest. Happy trails!