The Reiff Family love their life on the road in their roof-raise skoolie! Joel, Carrie, and their three preteen boys left Pennsylvania to travel west after completing their $70K conversion. They’re now enjoying extensive National Parks tours and getting used to homeschooling on the road.
They raised the roof in the middle of their skoolie to allow maximum headroom in the living room/kitchen. The home has tons of counter space and a bar area that gives the boys a spot to do bookwork or each lunch. Each boy has a private bunk space with storage, and there’s a main bedroom in the back for mom and dad. Oodles of solar power and batteries allow them to boondock for 10 days or longer at a time.
Don’t miss other incredible vans like this, join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Exploring National Parks w/ Preteen Boys
Each boy has a private bunk space in the back of the bus.
A large galley kitchen makes meals on the road a breeze!
They have a long couch and a breakfast bar space.
VIDEO: Family’s DIY Raised Roof Bus Home – $70k All In
- Joel and Carrie loved the outdoors and photography and started to see more families on YouTube and Instagram pursuing this life and they decided to take the plunge!
- They purchased the bus for $5,000 and put another $65,000 into the conversion. They found that a lot of the “little things” like furnishings and cushions added up quickly.
- This is their first year homeschooling, which has come with some challenges but also affords them the freedom to take time “off” of bookwork to really explore national parks.
- The boys each have a private bunk space with super cool storage beneath the mattresses!
- Since they eat most meals in the bus, they prioritized a large kitchen with full-sized appliances. They can fit about 10 days of food in the refrigerator.
- The plumbing was the most difficult portion of the bus build for them, but they successfully installed a shower stall and Nature’s Head composting toilet in their little bathroom.
- Mom and Dad have a back bedroom with a custom headboard that includes space for books, chargers for phones and various knickknacks.
- Follow the family on Instagram
- Follow the family on Facebook
- Follow the family on YouTube
- Subscribe to Tiny Home Tours
- Family with Four Boys Living in a 40-ft. School Bus Conversion
- Safe and Sonder Vans: NORTH Family Van
- Family Bus Life with 6 Kids Despite Terminal Diagnosis
Our big thanks to Tiny Home Tours for sharing!
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Beautifully-Crafted Vardo-Style Tiny House For Sale! - November 28, 2023
- Nigel & Sue’s Van Conversion: Exploring Australia - November 28, 2023
- 20-ft. Pink & Teal Tiny House by Kaiser Tiny Homes - November 27, 2023