This is the story of Blake’s tiny tiny house. It’s a 7×11 micro home on wheels called The Scout. It’s built on a single axle trailer with a very unique and wonderful design, a reminder of how awesome tiny tiny homes can be. There’s an interesting and serendipitous story behind it too. Enjoy!
I discovered Planet Structures (of Carleton Place, Ontario) by accident while phoning around to arrange for an inspection of a used tiny house I’d put an offer on. It emerged that they had made a shell for a customer who had ordered a tiny house and then walked away from the project before completion. It turned out to be everything I had hoped for: made out of SIPs panels (lightweight, well insulated) at the micro end of tiny house (7×11 interior), and ready to be customized.
Don’t miss other super cool tiny homes like this – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Blake’s BEAUTIFUL Tiny Tiny House And The Serendipitous Story Behind It…
Story Behind the Scout Tiny House
This tiny house has been a dream come true: I’d been following the movement for nearly a decade, had hundreds of plans and back issues of Tiny House Newsletter, and several plans of my own. I discovered Planet Structures (of Carleton Place, Ontario) by accident while phoning around to arrange for an inspection of a used tiny house I’d put an offer on. It emerged that they had made a shell for a customer who had ordered a tiny house and then walked away from the project before completion. It turned out to be everything I had hoped for: made out of SIPs panels (lightweight, well insulated) at the micro end of tiny house (7×11 interior), and ready to be customized. With the help of my partner and input from an architecture student, we came up with plans for the interior that would make maximum use of this tiny space while being functional, beautiful, and feeling spacious. I had already done lots of research on tiny house appliances, heating options, etc.
Some key features of this build:
- Walls, floor and ceiling built of structurally insulated panels (SIPs): lightweight, strong, high insulation value, no thermal bridging; with roughly twice the R-value of equivalent size stick wall construction (see https://www.sips.org/technical-information/r-values-in-the-real-world)
- full kitchen along back wall, with 3-burner propane range/oven, under-counter fridge, deep round sink
- Simple plumbing setup: 2 large food grade canisters under the sink, one with fresh water and one to receive sink wastewater, with marine foot pump for bringing water up to the faucet. Empty and refill as needed.
- kickplate drawers under the main cabinets
- Built-in couch with 3 large storage drawers under
- side table doubles as landing for ladder to sleeping loft, and also houses emergency bucket toilet and pee bottle (I use the main house for shower, some bathroom needs)
- double pane low-e awning style windows on two levels can be left open in the rain and allow for generous ventilation
- Wrap-around bar counter in front of window with bar stool for eating and as work surface
- air conditioner, sourced from California, uses 400W rather than the usual 1500-1800W; this plus the use of propane cookstove and propane heater enables the whole house to run off a household-grade extension cord to the main building
- loft ‘railing’ made out of wood boxes made by low-income women in Toronto
- Compact heat recovery ventilation unit sourced from Scandinavia
- flat roof suitable for gardening or recreational uses, with access ladder from hitch
Our big thanks to Blake for sharing!🙏
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Classic Teardrop Campers by Second Wind Trailers - October 22, 2021
- 720-sq.-ft. Two-Bedroom Home in Arcadia, Florida - October 22, 2021
- Off-Grid Vista Tiny House For Sale (Available Now) - October 22, 2021