When Portland passed a law allowing homeowners to build an <200 square foot accessory unit on their property without a permit, Chris and Jack jumped at the opportunity. Because Chris is a sculptor, she thought sculpting from cob would be a perfect way to create a small dwelling.
The bean-shaped unit features two spiral pillars and a lovely round roof with a cupola. Inside it has an open floor plan that was originally designed as a massage studio, but now features a queen-sized bed for guests.
You’ll love the video tour and interview with the couple, brought to us by FLORB on YouTube.
Don’t miss other interesting tiny homes – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Stunning Permit-Free Cob Dwelling in Portland
The windows are made from recycled glass and covered with a translucent plexiglass for privacy.
The spot has both radiant floor heating and a wood stove.
Here you see it during the build process.
These two should be proud of their cob house!
Cupola letting light in from above.
VIDEO: Inspiring DIY Tiny House built by Hand
- Bean-shaped cob home
- Made with mixture of straw, water, soil and clay
- Large roof keeps water away from the structure
- Pillars are hand-sculpted
- Features both radiant heat and a wood stove
- Originally used as a massage studio
- Windows are made from recycled glass
- Woman’s Magical Cob House Built Earth and Reclaimed Materials
- Jordana’s Straw bale and Cob Cabins in Oregon!
- Fairytale Cob Cottage with Living/Green Roof
Our big thanks to FLORB for sharing! 🙏
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Couple’s Ala Köl Tiny House, Designed For Full-Time Living - April 19, 2021
- Cessna Aircraft and Tiny House Vacation in France - April 18, 2021
- “Rebellious” Patricia & Jean-François Choose Tiny Living in France - April 17, 2021