8×8 Tiny House Design Contest Submission by Remi
My basic parameters:
- Actual full time living space for one person, year round.
- Electricity available – solar, grid, or generator. (If not, add an awning and cook outdoors. Hopefully, you live in a mild climate.)
- 8’ x 8’ concrete pad, 6” thick walls, 7’ x 7’ interior space
[All measurements given in HWD order]
80” x 30” exterior door centered in S wall, swings in and to the left.
Counter-clockwise from the door:
More 8×8 Tiny House Design Submissions:
- Hunter’s 8×8 Cabin
- LaMar’s 8×8 Cabin
- Kevin’s 8×8 Cabin
- Anthony’s 8×8 Cabin
- Jordan’s 8×8 Cabin
- Mary’s 8×8 Cabin
- Remi’s 8×8 Cabin
- Counter 36” x 54” x 24”
- Sink 4” x 12” x 18”. Underneath are 3 vertical pullout shelves for dry goods, cookware, dishes.
- Top Loading refrigerator 23” x 16” x 16”. This pretty well occupies its entire space, so nothing underneath. A cutting board sits on top of the door.
- 16” open counter/work space. I would have a toaster oven, crock pot, and/or microwave, because I don’t cook much. You could put in a 1- or 2-burner cook top if you do.
- Underneath are 6 drawers, varying from 4”- 8” deep. Anything that isn’t cooking or clothing probably lives here – personal care, ping pong paddles, etc. Optionally, replace the bottom drawer with a step stool, because the shelves (we’ll get to those) can be a bit of a stretch.
- Cabinet for on-demand hot water unit 26” x 30” x 10”. Width lies along E wall.
- Above hot water unit, bookcase/shelves 36” x 30” x 10”.
- 18” x 74” x 30” cabinet, divided into three sections, roughly 15”, 30”, and 29” wide.
- Top lifts open like a chest to access 15” wide area (which is mostly hidden by kitchen counter) and 30” x 16” space behind drawers, useful for blanket storage and similar – things that are very good to have on hand, but you don’t need every day.
- Front of central 30” space is four 9” x 14” x 12”drawers, for clothing.
- 29” space (NW corner) is storage for collapsible bath tub. With an on-demand water heater, you can have a good soak. I didn’t find any whirlpool units that I’d want to try on a collapsible tub. YMMV.
- A 30” x 74” cot mattress lives on top of the cabinet, doing double duty as a sofa. A second mattress is used as a back rest, lays on the other mattress for sleeping.
- Centered on the wall is a 30” x 24” table/desk/flat-surface-when-you-want-to-sit-not-stand. It is hinged to hang down against the wall when not in use, creating extra floor space for soaking in the tub or anything else you want extra floor space for.
- Here is a 20” x 24” x 24” cabinet, hinged so that both the top and the E side can be opened (preferably only one at a time). Inside is a dry composting toilet. I found this one , which fits inside the relatively tiny dimensions.
- When the cabinet is closed, a cushion on top turns it into seating on the other side of the table.
- And back to the door! Second round: all things above 48” altitude, starting with the S wall since we’re already here.
- A shed roof slopes up at 1.5/12 pitch from north to south, so that it is about 12” above the S wall. The entire 12” x 84” space is transom windows, hinged for ventilation.
- 24” x 54” windows above the sink/refrigerator/counter.
- 84” x 12” shelf at 78”, holds lots of baskets and bins for everything you didn’t get stored in the lower cabinets.
- No windows. Room for artwork, knick knacks, or gloriously uncluttered space, however your tastes run.
- 84” x 12” shelf at 78”, forming a giant ‘L’ with the E wall shelf. More baskets and bins. Or books. Possibly an exploring feline.
- 24” x 84” of windows, topped by 24” x 84” of mostly clear wall. Needed a break from shelves.
- 28” x 12” shelf at 78”. Or clear wall. Could hang a small folding step ladder there if you didn’t want to give up the bottom drawer under the counter. Options are wonderful things.
- Back to the door, again. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine/moonlight/stars/whatever-it-is-you-enjoy.
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- 13 Tiny Homes That Will Make You Want to Downsize - July 16, 2018
- Couple Turn Shed into a Tiny House for less than $3,000! - July 16, 2018
- Handmade Gypsy Caravan Tiny House For Sale - July 16, 2018