You know what they say about Texas — everything is bigger — including the Dome Homes. This incredible 1970s marvel is two stories and houses four bedrooms, three bathrooms, two living rooms, and a gorgeous atrium filled with live plants providing oxygen and color to the space.
Far from tiny, but super cool, this dome is still owned by the original builders and there are awesome construction pictures of the space inside. They recently added a huge deck to the front of the dome where you can relax or grill and enjoy views of the lake. They also have lake access so you can take a dip if you want to!
Don’t miss other interesting tiny homes – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Lakeside Dome Vacation with Large Front Porch
A ginormous window provides views of the lake.
Here’s what it looks like from the second floor.
A magical atrium houses lovely plantlife.
The living room surrounds a (non-functional) fireplace.
The Mid-century coffee table is fun.
There’s another small seating area near the kitchen.
There’s a full kitchen and lots of glassware!
This is a peekaboo through to the living space.
One of the bathrooms.
This bathroom has a round tub!
This is the twin bedroom.
Here’s another view of the bedroom.
Some pictures of the construction on the wall.
Here’s one of the bedrooms with a queen bed.
I love the porthole window.
Get ready or write a book here.
The main room has a King-sized bed.
Here’s the vanity area in the King-sized room.
One more queen-sized bedroom.
This bathroom has a skylight.
There’s a giant skylight in the middle of the dome ceiling.
There’s a beautiful grassy area outside the door.
Here’s the view from the deck.
You have access to the water.
Description from the Host:
- This beautiful vintage home is as authentically “Austin” as it gets, built in 1972 and still owned by the same family today. With an indoor garden, shaded patio, and direct access to Lake Austin, it’s truly unforgettable.
- The Dome is the perfect place for your next visit. Just 15 minutes from downtown, 15 minutes from Zilker, and 20 minutes from UT campus, all the action is nearby but not right at the door.
- The Dome is a super cool house with direct access to Lake Austin. The house itself is a giant white dome with a huge round window at the front. We just built a new deck, which overlooks the entire property and can be used for grilling and dining.
- From the backyard, there’s a big hill that leads down to the lake, where there is a nice shallow swimming area. The water is about 3ft deep where you get in, and then gets deeper (well over 6ft deep) as you go out toward the center of the lake. Be careful getting in — it’s slippery!
- We have a boat slip, but please to not use our boat or jet ski. You are welcome to hang out on top of the slip; there are stairs to get up to the top and it’s a cool place to chill and watch people on the lake.
- Guests can use all bedrooms, bathrooms, living and dining areas, and the kitchen inside the Dome. You are also welcome to use the deck and grill, and the entire back yard area.
- The Dome has direct access to Lake Austin, so feel free to hop in! Just please do not use the boat or jet ski. When you’re down at the lake, you may share the space with our family because sometimes we come out to use the boat. For parking, guests can use the car port at the top of the driveway, or you can park anywhere along the upper driveway, -please do not drive all the way down to the lake, it is very steep and sometimes slippery.
- Guests are welcome to use the kayaks and other water flotation devices. Please replace all items where they initially were after you are done using them.
- Geo-Dome Cabin in Bend, Oregon Known as “Dome Sweet Dome“
- Nomadic Couple Build a Geodesic Dome in the Woods
- Mirror House, Domes & Honeymoon Treehouse on a Cliff
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Beautifully-Crafted Vardo-Style Tiny House For Sale! - November 28, 2023
- Nigel & Sue’s Van Conversion: Exploring Australia - November 28, 2023
- 20-ft. Pink & Teal Tiny House by Kaiser Tiny Homes - November 27, 2023