If you’ve been looking into tiny house sleeping lofts and wondering it wouldn’t be stuffy and hot up there you’re in the right place.
Today’s question is from Michael and you can read it yourself below:
Alex, I love some of the tiny house designs in your newsletter, but one issue I never see mentioned is the terrible heat problem of sleeping in a loft with no air conditioning. Anyone who has gone up in an attic of a home in the summer knows you could not live in one of these small homes.
This is a great question and I’m glad he brought it up. (Thanks Mike!)
Isn’t It Too Stuffy & Hot in Tiny House Sleeping Lofts?
But since she’s in Portland, OR heat is not too much of an issue for her.
So what if you live in somewhere like Florida? Or even New York in the summer. It gets hot.
Here’s how to stay cool in a tiny house loft during the heat (and I invite you to add your tips and tricks in the comments too):
How to Stay Cool in Tiny House Sleeping Lofts in Summer Heat
- Use an air conditioner.
- Use a fan to help circulate the air inside.
- Heavily insulate your tiny home’s roof when building.
- Beware of the clothing you choose.
- Adjust your bedding for summer.
- Eat foods that are cooling (see below).
Another option, too, is to sleep downstairs instead of in your loft during the summer because since warm air rises you’re obviously going to be cooler downstairs on your futon, murphy bed, or your couch.
An Open-Loft Tiny House Design: A Solution?
What If You Don’t Want A/C?
No problem! Here are some tips I came up with that will help you keep cool even without A/C:
- Use a fan in your loft while you sleep.
- Invest in silk or satin pillowcases and sheets because these fabrics help keep you cooler.
- Wear clothing that’s light and airy when you go to sleep.
- Avoid using too many blankets and consider using very thin blankets if it’s really warm.
- Design and build your tiny house loft with an open layout, as shown above.
Foods and Herbs That Keep Your Body Cool During the Summer
I thought it was important to remind you about some foods that help keep your body cool so you can try them out during the summer (especially your last meal before bed) to help you feel cool before you go to sleep.
- Watermelon fruit.
- Fresh peppermint (on your salad or smoothie maybe).
- Minted green tea.
- Mint chocolate.
- Fresh fruits (cold apples, bananas, pineapple, etc.)
- Sip from a cold glass of water before bed.
Do You Know Any Tricks, Tips or ‘Hacks’ For Staying Cool?
If you have any suggestions or tips that I didn’t cover on here we’d all absolutely love to read them in the comments below.
How You Can Help Us Spread the Love for Tiny Living!
Also- if you found this post helpful- you can share it with others using the social/email share buttons down below. I’d surely appreciate it!
If you enjoyed this and want more tiny housing goodness join our free daily newsletter with even more!
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Freedom Teardrop Trailer With Off-Road Package (For Sale) - October 27, 2021
- Classic Teardrop Campers by Second Wind Trailers - October 22, 2021
- 720-sq.-ft. Two-Bedroom Home in Arcadia, Florida - October 22, 2021