Liam is a 21-year-old photographer and surfer (@liamconradphoto) living in Santa Barbara, California. He bought this 1988 Ford Econoline that was a handicap transport vehicle, and transformed it into an awesome camper van to make surfing that much easier!
Now he can camp out at the beach and get the early morning waves! His van includes an outdoor shower, sink, 12 v fridge and a large bed with garage storage underneath.
He did a video tour of his van build-out, which you can watch at the end of the post! Enjoy.
Don’t miss other interesting tiny homes – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
From Handicap Transport Van to Surfer Campervan
Originally brown, Liam painted it this awesome blue color.
He has outdoor shower hook ups and all his surf gear.
Liam is 6’6″ and *just* fits standing in his van.
Here’s his compact kitchen area. He cooks on a Coleman stove outside.
His 12v refrigerator cooler for snacks and beer.
He rigged up this great surfboard storage.
VIDEO: 21 Year Old Surfer & Photographer Builds AMAZING VAN CONVERSION
- 56k original miles from ‘88.
- Vans in excellent condition.
- 6’7 standing height inside
- Beast on the highway – V8 has no trouble with steeper grades at highway speed
- I bought it in November as a brown handicap van – stripped it to the sheet metal – and custom built everything by hand in my garage.
- Van is extremely functional.
- Equipped with:
- 20 gal under chassis water tank
- Outdoor shower (from full to empty shower can run for about 15-20 minutes on constant high pressure)
- Auxiliary battery system
- Charged by solar and battery isolated
- 1000 watt inverter
- 12v fridge
- New sound system
- Pioneer stereo
- Kicker speakers (speakers in front, middle, and facing out back of van when doors open – all wired with switches.
- Bed setup is two opposing benches with storage underneath (huge bed sleeps 2 easy – between cal king and queen) mattress topper and 3 inch folding foam underneath for either bed or bench setup.
- 5ft large dinner table pops up in pick nick table style format
- Interior surf rack (holds up to 3 board in the roof – and two short boards beside bed) optimized for board safety while camping
- Hardwood flooring
- New leather swivel seats (both)
- Power windows and locks
- New paint job (in March)
- New fiberglass reinforced roof installed (through fiberine co. in Long Beach)
- Recently installed spare tire carrier – and ladder to access roof (surf check)
- Countless hours and nights pouring a lot of elbow grease into this thing.
- Runs like a dream.
- Surfer Couple’s DIY Shuttle Bus Conversion And Their Travel Lifestyle
- Wander Woman Go and Her Sunny Yellow Van Kitchen!
- Surfer Couple’s 260 Sq. Ft. Modern Tiny House on Wheels
Our big thanks to Liam for sharing! 🙏
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Couple’s Bus Conversion Built To Fit A Growing Family - May 23, 2022
- Viking 2 Tiny House on Wheels by Voyager Houses - May 21, 2022
- Built his first Tiny House for $13k - May 20, 2022