This is the skoolie that started it all for YETIBUS Builds. It’s the school bus conversion of Kyle Volkman, co-founder of YetiBus, who literally raised the roof with his first skoolie build.
The bus is a 1986 International. According to YetiBusBuilds.com, he has lived in it for 7 years full-time, and another 4 years part-time before that. Kyle would drive it around to different tiny house shows, and so he started getting hired to do conversions for other people when showing his bus around the country. So the company was named after this very first bus. This skoolie has lots of features, most notably, it’s powered by vegetable oil!
Don’t miss other awesome stories like this, join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
The Original YETIBUS Skoolie With 12″ Roof Raise
The 12 inches of raised roof creates so much more space, it really makes a big difference in a school bus conversion, and if you’re considering one, a roof raise is a must to consider in your skoolie-build.
A school bus conversion, in my opinion, is the closest you can get to a motorhome that feels like a little cabin. How do you like this dinette? It sort of reminds me of being in a sailboat.
This custom couch converts into a bed pretty easily.
One of the best features, the wood ceiling in this raised roof school bus conversion.
The kitchen is also very nice, with perfect storage solutions.
And of course, windows to enjoy views from while working away at your favorite meals, and cleaning up your dishes in peace.
Ahh, the potty!
And, of course, the ultra-cozy bedroom.
“What lies at the foundation of my freedom is my mobility. At any time I can pull up stakes and leave to go anywhere for any reason. Making a living on a project-to-project basis allows me to structure a life that inspires me. This bus is my adventure vehicle. This life is free of constraints, and like the beauty of life itself, it’s vulnerable and full of reward.”
~ Kyle Volkman, YETIBUS co-founder
Where would you go with your own school bus conversion like this?
- 4″ air-ride suspension lift
- 12″ roof raise
- Custom-welded steel grill guard and back-rack
- 7 double-pane tinted windows with screens
- Closed-cell spray foam insulation
- Wood interior
- 45 gallon fresh water tank with external fill
- Isotemp 7 gallon coolant heat-exchanger water heater
- High-flower 12V water pump low-flow foot pump
- Norcold 3-way fridge
- Airhead composting toilet
- Wood burning stove
- 120v shore power
- Interior LED lighting
- 10-speed 12v vent fan
- Pull-out couch bed
- Full-sized custom foam mattress
- Entertainment center
- The original YetiBus, Kyle Volkman’s skoolie
What are your thoughts on skoolies like this? Pretty cool, right?
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- He’s Building a Tiny House with 6-ft. Jacuzzi Tub And Spiral Staircase (Still Under Construction) - January 14, 2021
- 2017 Escape Vista Tiny House in Portland, Oregon (For Sale) - January 14, 2021
- The 28-ft. Calliope Tiny House with Skylighted Bathroom by Rewild Homes - January 14, 2021