Carla and Simon lived busy lives before their paths crossed in 2015. They married in 2017, and by 2018 — a bit on a whim — they sold their home, bought a boat, and decided to spend their days sailing the seven seas! Two years later and they’re still loving their life on the water.
They live full-time on their Lagoon 400, along with an orchid and their adorable cat, Dobby. They even survived a storm off of the Bahamas during COVID-19. Their boat was damaged badly enough that the country generously let them moor there and ride out quarantine, despite the fact the country had already closed their borders to outsiders.
To date, the couple have visited some 40 countries on their journey, and they don’t have plans to stop any time soon. You can follow their travels on Instagram, but make sure to watch the tour of their catamaran below.
Don’t miss other amazing stories like this – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Two+ Years at Sea: Retired Couple’s Catamaran Life
Carla loves eating healthy foods, and does lots of cooking on the boat.
Anything not in a cabinet is secured down with sticky tack.
They actually catch quite a bit of fish on their journeys to eat.
They have a spacious bathroom, with a simple flushing electric toilet.
Although they did leave behind winter clothing, they didn’t pare down their summer wardrobes at all.
Carla first proposed the idea of sailing the world, but Simon was quick to agree to the crazy plan.
VIDEO: Living on a Self-Sufficient Catamaran
- Been at sea for more than 2 years
- Have visited 40 countries
- Moored in Bahamas during COVID-19 lockdown
- Lagoon 400
- Couple met in 2015, married in 2017
- Tiny Houseboat in Seattle
- The Musti Schnaps Tiny Houseboat
- Australian Couple Traveling the World in a Sailboat
Our big thanks to Allison for sharing! 🙏
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- “Rebellious” Patricia & Jean-François Choose Tiny Living in France - April 17, 2021
- Isabelle’s Baluchon-Built Tiny House: The Nottingham - April 16, 2021
- 29-ft. Double-Loft Tiny Home on Wheels by Thimble Homes - April 16, 2021