This is the Blue Ridge Mountains Simply Enough Tiny Home.
Jody and her husband built this stunning home and you can read their story below.
Please enjoy, learn more, and re-share below. Thank you!
Blue Ridge Mountains Simply Enough Tiny Home
After living for years in traditionally scaled homes, my husband and I sold our last house and moved to an apartment to try out living in a smaller footprint. We didn’t miss the extra space and we loved ditching our mortgage. In the process, we found ourselves firmly on the path to living more sustainably.
We were fortunate enough to have a friend invite us to live on a corner of her property in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Zoning doesn’t permit a second foundation-built house on the property, so we designed our 250-square-foot house to be built on a 24-foot trailer. Since we have no plans to move the house, we built wider than the trailer, giving us an interior space that’s 11 feet wide. It took us a year (with time out for winter) to build the house.
* Our split-roof design includes six clerestory windows that help cool the house in summer and passively heat the house in winter.
* The house is sided with wood clapboard and corrugated metal—the same metal as the roof.
* We knew we wanted a lot of light and cross ventilation, so we put 11 windows and three exterior doors (all glass) into our design.
* We built interior walls to divide our space for a bathroom on one end of the house and ground-floor sleeping space on the other. Both walls stop short of the ceiling for airflow and light.
* Our power is 80% solar (all lights and outlets), with supplemental grid energy for the hot water heater and pump and a microwave.
* We use an energy-efficient space heater as back up to our Kimberly wood stove to warm the house.
* We have a DIY composting toilet and use a mulch pit to filter gray water.
* We added a wrap-round deck and a free-standing screen house that expand our living space when the weather’s good.
Read more about the journey at Simply Enough.
You can share this tiny house with your friends and family for free using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks.
If you enjoyed this Simply Enough Tiny House you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more! Thank you!
More Like This: Explore our Tiny Houses Section
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses