“Limitations inspire creation.”
“I don’t design; I follow logic.”
“We are not smarter than nature. We often think we are, but we are not.”
These are just a couple of the wise and witty comments of 87-year-old Charles Bello who has been living off-grid on his own 400 acres of Redwood Forest for 50 years! The first many years he and his late wife went without any electricity, refrigeration, or even a phone line! The couple raised their two boys in a “chopped-off” A-frame (which cost around $2,800 to build), and then later built a larger 3-bedroom home.
Their final home endeavor was/is a gorgeous window-laden Parabolic Glass House that’s the primary focus of Kirsten Dirksen’s video tour of Bello’s estate. They only spent $8,500 on the home, using materials from their land, and it comes complete with a partially-underground greenhouse that grows tomatoes even in winter. I know the video is nearly an hour long, but you really need to watch it. Bello is absolutely fascinating!
The icing on the cake, though, is that Bello is looking for three middle-aged couples to act as land stewards of his property (which is now worth between $4-6 million!!). It looks like you’ll need some pioneering experience (and to be debt-free!), but what a wild opportunity. Learn more here.
Don’t miss other interesting tiny homes – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
Become a Caretaker of 400 Acres of Redwood Forest!
Here’s the view of the Parabolic Glass House from the front.
Inside the home, Bello explains his “logic” design.
The views are absolutely breathtaking.
The views from his bed are lovely, he says.
VIDEO: 50 years off-grid: architect-maker paradise amid NorCal Redwoods
- 50 years off-grid
- 17 without refrigeration
- Many years without electricity or phone line
- Made money selling Christmas trees
- Raised 2 sons in a chopped-off A-frame ($2,500 to build)
- Homeschooled boys, 90% outdoor education
- Built a 3-bedroom cabin after that
- Spent $8,500 on Parabolic Glass House
- Land had no roads, water, electricity or anything
- Created bridge out of a redwood tree
- Seeking 3 middle-aged couples to act as caretakers
- Hand-selected 1,000 trees to be protected for 2 millenia!!
- Family of 6’s Mortgage-Free Shed-to-House & Homestead
- Couple Ditch Modern Life for Pioneer Cabin Lifestyle in Missouri
- Family Builds Tiny House on their Homestead
- DIY Tiny Cabin on a Homestead
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Get 12 Back Issues of Tiny House Magazine with a Year Subscription! Thanksgiving Sale! - November 26, 2020
- Traditional Log Cabin in America’s Hometown (Where the Pilgrims Landed) - November 26, 2020
- 20 Ft Traditional THOW For Sale: $39,950 - November 26, 2020