Did you know that the VW Microbus is scheduled to come back to the United States? According to VW.com, “It’s official: The VW Bus is back, and it’s electric.” It’s called the ID Buzz and it’s fully electric.
Driven by popular demand, Volkswagen announced today it is planning on selling a production version of the award-winning I.D. Buzz concept electric vehicle in 2022 for the United States, Europe and China.1
Don’t miss other interesting news and announcements – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
VW Bus coming back to the United States by 2022
The design looks to seat up to 6 or 7 passengers.
Although it’s still a prototype design, that could very well change.
This is what the proposed design looks like so far. What do you think of it?
It’s designed to be multi-functional inside, so you can setup a table in the middle.
I’m sure there will be a camper version.
What do you think? Would you consider getting one?
It’s going to be an all-electric powertrain, no gas.
You would plug it in to charge it, much like a phone, or one of those Teslas.
Would surely make a nice family vehicle.
The microbus comeback!
I certainly wouldn’t mind getting to have one.
And who knows, maybe it will even have that self-driving feature.
The old one, and the proposed new one. Which do you prefer?
Passenger swivel seat.
Large display and control screen.
Since the motors are down in the powertrain by the wheels, there’s space for a front trunk.
You can see the motors and batteries below.
Hey, these could make great business vehicles, too.
The classic VW microbus is coming back!
It would be pretty cool to install a pop-top tent on one of these, wouldn’t it?
There’s one to look at as an example with an awning, too. Aww, look at that shaggy doggy.
A perfect little van-based camper!
TEST DRIVE: Fully Charged gets to review and test the new Volkswagen Microbus (ID Buzz)
VIDEO: Retro Volkswagen bus unveil event
A little VW bus history
The first VW Bus sold in the United States in 1950 had all of 30 hp. The I.D. Buzz concept sports 369 hp from electric motors on each axle that also provide all wheel drive and the 111 kWh battery pack in the floor of the MEB chassis provide nearly 300 miles of estimated range. Using a VW fast-charge system, it can recharge about 80 percent of its energy capacity in 30 minutes at 150 kW.1
So what do you think so far?
Is this vehicle seriously about to be released?
The I.D. Buzz is the second EV concept that VW has revealed for production, along with the original I.D. concept slated to enter production around 2019 as a 2020 model1
Are you going to get one?
Learn more at Volkswagen.
Our big thanks to Peter Christiansen for sharing!🙏
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
- “It’s official: The VW Bus is back, and it’s electric.” Accessed May 27, 2019. http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/future-cars/official-the-vw-bus-is-back-and-its-electric/.
- “How I.D. Buzz takes Volkswagen back to the future.” Accessed May 27, 2019. http://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/concept-cars/how-i-d-buzz-takes-volkswagen-back-to-the-future/.
- “Hippy Van is Back: Volkswagen Re-Releasing Its Electric Version.” Accessed May 27, 2019. https://themindcircle.com/volkswagen-hippy-van-new-electric-version/.
- “Retro Volkswagen bus gets electric touch.” Accessed May 27, 2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R8FqEgLfO8.
- “VW ID Buzz | Fully Charged.” Accessed May 27, 2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQut6ks3nSY.
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Multi-functional ProMaster Conversion by Challenger Vans - May 23, 2022
- 58-ft. Turkey Run Tiny House by Movable Roots at Black Prong Equestrian Village - May 21, 2022
- Off-Grid, Mushroom Cabin with Green Roof - May 13, 2022