This is the story of Derek and Hannah‘s passive solar design home that they are building in Arizona. It’s not a tiny house, it’s more of a small house, but you can also use the same principles when building your own tiny, small, or even large house.
Anyway, before all of this, they started out with a tiny house. And now several years later they’re getting to design and build their dream home with passive solar design that will save them thousands and thousands of dollars on utility bills every single year. All because of a well-thought design! See and learn how they did it in the video explanation below.
How They’re House Design Will Save Them Thousands of Dollars per Year
Did you notice the large overhangs in the design yet? That’s part of the thoughtful design process that keeps the windows (and interior) under shade.
Their home is also designed in a way where there are basically no windows facing the sun all day. Since they’re in Arizona, this is super important because it really keeps the heat out.
Whenever you design/build your house, you can have an architect or designer try to simulate these scenarios based on your location. Pretty smart, right?
Can you imagine how much energy can be saved if more homes were designed this thoughtfully?
Big congrats (and high fives) to @highcarbhannah and @handeeman.co for getting to this point!
VIDEO – How Our House Design Will Save Us $1000s (a great explanation of passive solar house designs)
VIDEO – Living off-grid: what I eat in a day
What do you think? Do you understand how passive solar works now?
- They built and lived in a tiny house – we blogged about it here in 2017
- They became YouTubers: Handeeman | High Carb Hannah
- They became recipe and weight loss authors
- They’re building their dream home
- @handeeman.co on Instagram
- @highcarbhannah on Instagram
- Handeeman on YouTube | High Carb Hannah
- Handeeman (Steel Water Tanks and Rainwater Harvesting – Arizona)
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- 4-Story Off-Grid Tree House on 10 Acres in Sagle, Idaho - September 14, 2020
- Our Podcast Interview with Tim Mastic (He Moved Into A New Tiny House Community in Florida) - August 17, 2020
- 20-ft. Tumbleweed Cypress Tiny House - August 11, 2020