He calls it an eco-retreat because it sits on 40 acres off the grid in the San Luis Valley in south-central Colorado.
So yes, there are amazing views of the Sangre de Cristro Mountains from the cabin.
Small Rustic Cabin on 40 Acres with Mountain Views for Sale
Victor asked me to let you know that the cabin, along with the property, is up for sale for $275,000.
But if you tell him you saw this post he’ll reduce the price to $225,000. So tell him Alex, from TinyHouseTalk.com sent you if you happen to be interested.
Photos Courtesy of Victor Summers
The 650-square-foot cabin is miles away from the electrical grid and sits at about 8500′ elevation in the southern part of Colorado.
There is solar power in place for the well pump and the lights. And you can see that lots of reclaimed materials were used to build the cabin.
The way it’s currently set up the home requires propane for the refrigerator and stove, so it’s not a completely off-grid solution because you’d still rely on the use of propane.
Funky and Impractical Ideas to Solve Propane Reliance
- Get enough solar panels to power an ice maker and a cooler
- Recycle the water from the melted ice and use it for your crops
- Utilize a solar baking oven for cooking your meals
- Have a wood burning cooking stove as a backup for rainy days
That was fun for me, haha. Do you have any ideas? Please share them in the comments.
Much of the house is clad with old wood from fences and old buildings, see below…
Some parts of the house are even from a chicken coop, like that wall down there.
The timbers used on the pictures above and below are recycled from old boxcars and a hot springs water tower.
Parts of the kitchen, including the cabinets, came from an old motel.
The 2x6s you see below were locally milled clad. The home is equipped with a solar shower and a composting toilet.
The house has passive solar in-floor heating thanks to a permaculture design.
The solar well system that I told you about earlier feeds a gravity flow water system.
If you enjoyed this tiny rustic cabin you’ll love our free daily tiny house newsletter with even more just like it!
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- The Squad Van Build With Rooftop Tent by Native Campervans - October 21, 2021
- REVIEW: Jackery 1500 Solar Generator + 4 x SolarSaga 100W Panels - October 17, 2021
- Jackery’s 9th Anniversary Sale: 15% Discount on Solar Generators, Solar Panels, And Battery Banks - October 17, 2021