A few years back, CNN covered this three story tiny house in Japan that fits in a parking spot.
In the past, I’ve covered a few similar small homes on Tiny House Talk, including:
- Tokyo’s Modern and Minimalist Parking Lot Small House
- Japan’s 900-square-foot Penguin House
- Hong Kong’s Futuristic Multifunctional Tiny Apartment
The kitchen, living room, and dining area is the size of an average American’s walk-in closet.
Instead of cabinet and closet doors, they use sliding curtains to conserve the most amount of space.
Their washer/dryer is not only a combination unit, it’s also tucked underneath a counter so you hardly notice it’s there.
Some small appliances like their microwave is hidden inside of a slide out cabinet so that it’s easy to access yet not always visible.
I encourage you to check out the rest of this unique home, and watch the video tour and interview below:
In the bathroom, for example, you’ll find a sink less than half the size of a normal one.
To make the home seem larger they used giant windows so that light comes in and so that there’s this illusion that everything’s more spacious.
The shoes are stacked neatly in a tall closet in the stairway of the house. This is actually a very convenient place for them since it’s on your way out of the house.
In fact, every corner in the design has been utilized for storage. Even the unique triangular spiral stairway steps were designed to take up the least amount of space possible.
Challenges these Small Space Homeowners Face:
- Keeping stuff to a minimum (they only own two coffee mugs)
- Bringing in enough light to the house
- Having enough privacy (homeowner lives with his mother)
The lot which this house sits on is just 322-square-feet in size which was previously used as a parking space. Today more and more people not just in Japan, but throughout the world, are designing, building, and looking for smaller, smarter and more affordable housing.
Watch the Video Tour of this 3-Story Japanese Small House
Surprisingly, the owner spent about $500,000 in USD to build this home. But apparently that’s a bargain for a brand new modern home in Tokyo.
If you enjoyed this modern and minimalist 3-story small house in Tokyo, please “Like” and share using the buttons below then talk about it in the comments if you want to. Thanks!
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Beachfront Studio Tiny Home in New Zealand - December 17, 2018
- 488 Sq. Ft. Cottage on 1 Acre in West Plains, Missouri - December 16, 2018
- 24ft TruForm Tiny House on Wheels For Sale in Waldport, Oregon - December 16, 2018