Have you heard of Tammy Strobel’s You Can Buy Happiness (And It’s Cheap)?
It’s a book she just released today.. I just got my copy on Amazon a few minutes ago.
In this post you’ll get to read my thoughts, notes, and highlights while reading the book.
In it, Tammy tells the story of how she and her husband went from a normal life, to living in a tiny house on wheels with almost no stuff.
You can buy it now and read it instantly on your Kindle in moments.
Here’s the book description that’s published on Amazon:
Once, Tammy Strobel and her husband were living a normal middle-class lifestyle: driving two cars, commuting long distances, and living well beyond their means. Now they are living the voluntary downsizing — or smart-sizing — dream. In this book Strobel combines research on well-being with numerous real-world examples to offer practical inspiration. Her fresh take on our things, our work, and our relationships spells out micro-actions that anyone can take to step into a life that’s more conscious and connected, sustainable and sustaining, heartfelt and happy.
Here’s what other authors are saying about her book:
“What do you need to be happy? It’s a lot less than you might expect. Read this book and prepare for change!”
— Chris Guillebeau, author of The $100 Startup
“One of the most important books you’ll read. If put into action, it will change lives.”
— Leo Babauta, author of The Power of Less
“This inspirational guide to creating a life of simple contentment is packed with real-life stories and practical tips for finding happiness. It’s thoughtful and engaging, a road map to a postconsumer world. I loved it.”
— J. D. Roth, editor of the blog Get Rich Slowly
“You will immediately connect with Tammy Strobel’s transparent and vulnerable storytelling. As a result, you will be challenged deeply by her discoveries about money, possessions, and happiness.”
— Joshua Becker, writer of the blog Becoming Minimalist
“Tammy Strobel’s new book should resonate with millions of Americans. She has articulated what has become a movement in these changing times: simplification of our lives, less stuff, smaller living spaces.”
— Lloyd Kahn, author of Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter
“This powerful book reminds all of us that happiness is a choice and that when you choose time over money and people over stuff, happiness awaits.”
— Courtney Carver, blogger and author of Simple Ways to Be More with Less
Some of my Highlights and Notes from Reading
– “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is a spiritual experience of living every moment with love, grace and gratitude.” ~ Dennis Waitely
– Interestingly, the more we gave away, the better we felt. Happiness researchers call this a “helper’s high,” in which helping others through volunteering or giving reduces stress and releases endorphins.
– The idea of living with less goes by several names and movements; a few are the simple living movement, the small house movement, voluntary simplicity, downsizing, and minimalism.
– Living with less is a life philosophy; it’s not about the number of things you own.
– “Happiness is not so much in having as sharing. We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” ~ Norman MacEwan
– ..materialistic people hold very high expectations for what their stuff can or should do for them. In short, materialism distracts us from two main facets in life that actually make us happy — strong relationships and doing work you love.
– ..there is no “one size fits all” approach to living simply.
– ..the stuff you own owns you.
– ..even if you know what’s best for you, it can be hard to act on that knowledge.
– ..it took five years of shedding stuff and three moves to get where we are today, which is living in a 128-square-foot house on wheels and loving it.
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- The Penny Tiny House by Cheeky Monkey Tiny Houses: A 20ft THOW with a Main Floor Bedroom! - November 15, 2018
- Renovated 1968 30ft Airstream Sovereign For Sale in San Francisco - November 14, 2018
- 225 Sq. Ft. Tiny Cottage on Wheels For Sale in Riverton, Utah - November 14, 2018