This $800 DIY Micro Camper story is a guest post by Dustin Lind
Hey! Dustin Lind here. Long time reader and newsletter subscriber. Just wanted to share a little project we are just finishing up for summer fun. I would like you to meet Bob! He’s our 40 sq. ft. Micro Camper.
While I designed him to be lightweight he is also very rugged and well insulated. This model was built out of a reused 5×8 40-year-old cargo trailer that had seen better days.
I figure I could build one on a brand new trailer for only about $800 more. That being said, reusing what I could and even scoring some reclaimed T&G cedar for the back and the loft we only spent around $800 for the entire build which we completed in our spare time in about three weeks.
To explore more amazing tiny homes like this, join our Tiny House Newsletter. It’s free and you’ll be glad you did! We even give you free downloadable tiny house plans just for joining!
Dustin & Kim’s $800 DIY Micro Camper Built in 3 Weeks
- Steel single axle trailer
- Aluminum sidewalls
- 2×3 framed construction
- Real r-13 insulation everywhere
- Birch beadboard interior with 1in pine trim
- 3ft Ceder loft platform with enclosed sides to hold gear
- Reclaimed RV door, I cut down to fit
- Reclaimed RV crank out windows
- Birch ply floors with enough room to squeeze a queen mattress in there
- Corrugated tin roof and 1/2″ OSB to keep the weight down
- Twin deep cycle 12V batteries to run 5 Led lights and a 110V AC outlet that can be run by an inverter in the front storage box
Pluses of the unit:
- It’s simple and easier than setting up a tent
- Cost is very low compared to other trailer manufactures
- It’s unique, I get compliments all the time
- Easy to tow. I use a Nissan Xterra and just completed a trip with Bob 2,400 miles from CO to AZ and back
It’s nice and warm and you can bet with that roof pitch it won’t have water sitting up there! You can go camping and have a real mattress to lay on at the end of a long days hike! And come on, it looks like a Tiny House…. just smaller!
I’m offering micro campers and tiny houses, custom-designed for people as well. and you can check out just a few of my own projects on my Facebook page.
You can send this DIY micro camper tiny home to your friends for free using the social media and e-mail share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this DIY cargo trailer micro cabin you’ll absolutely LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more! Thank you!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Escape eOne Tiny House w/ Large Kitchen Option - November 23, 2022
- The Silo House at Laughing Llama Farm in Troy, Texas - November 15, 2022
- Shipping Container Tiny House with Mountain Views in Asheville - November 15, 2022