This is the story of a couple who built their very own off-grid island. They’ve been living there for over 27 years now, and have added on quite a bit to it. It’s called Freedom Cove in Tofino, BC.
It all started with a tiny floating cabin they built with driftwood that washed ashore after a storm. And since 1992, they have been living in it and adding on to it. Pretty incredible, isn’t it? Please enjoy the video below from Exploring Alternatives for the full story.
Don’t miss other amazing stories like this – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter for more!
They Built a Floating Tiny Home, and Just Kept Adding Onto It!
At first, it just started with a tiny house…
But as time went on, they kept adding this and that.
Now, it’s basically a floating estate with everything you could ask for!
VIDEO – 27 YEARS Living Off-Grid on a Self-Built Island Homestead
“I was inspired by birds. They’re the ones who go around and build nests without permission.”
- Island is now known as Freedom Cove
- It’s a super-rare place!
- It’s home to Catherine and Wayne in Tofino, BC, Canada
- They built it as a man-made floating island
- It’s a homestead, art exhibit, and home
- It all started with a small floating home built using wood that washed ashore after a storm
- They’ve been here (moved in) since 1992
- Gradually, over all the years, they’ve added on (more buildings)
- They’ve built a greenhouse
- Outdoor dance floor
- A floating farm to grow their own food
- They used as much reclaim material as possible
- They use solar, generator, propane, and firewood for energy
- They operate a floating gallery
- Learn more below!
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- 4-Story Off-Grid Tree House on 10 Acres in Sagle, Idaho - September 14, 2020
- Our Podcast Interview with Tim Mastic (He Moved Into A New Tiny House Community in Florida) - August 17, 2020
- 20-ft. Tumbleweed Cypress Tiny House - August 11, 2020