When some people look at a tiny house for the first time their immediate thought is, “why would you build a more expensive tiny house when you can buy a travel trailer or other camper that’s usually bigger and cheaper?”
That’s why I decided to put together this post on the top 5 reasons we, as tiny house people, would want a stick built house on a trailer instead of a camper, travel trailer or motorhome.
1. First and foremost is so I can feel like I’m living in a traditional home. Sure, you can make a camper feel more like home but not so much on the exterior. The look of a traditional tiny house with a pitched roof really makes you feel like you own a home instead of an RV.
2. If this is going to be my home, then it has to be well insulated so it can stay cool in the summer and stay warm in the cold winter months. With most travel trailers this is more challenging. With a custom built tiny home, you can insulate it really well so that it functions like a home instead of a vacation trailer.
3. So I can use my own choice of materials inside and out. Inside I’d use quality materials that I enjoy living with and looking at everyday. Materials that do not contain chemicals with harmful off-gassing. And hopefully I’d be able to find quite a few reclaimed materials from back in the day that are of even better quality than much of today’s stuff.
4. If I’m going to live in a “trailer” it’s going to look good because I don’t want to be looking and feeling mass manufactured with excessive plastic and toxic materials. This obviously goes with reason one, but the point is, that this “trailer” (tiny house on wheels) is staying put unless I choose to move (in my case, at least). So I don’t care much about aerodynamics. I want it to be aesthetically pleasing like a house, cottage, or bungalow.
5. Last but not least, so I can finally own my own mortgage-free home.
I see nothing wrong with travel trailers, campers, motorhomes and bus conversions. In fact, I also love them and I’d enjoy a long road trip or even living in one while traveling for a certain period of time.
But basically for me travel trailers, RVs and motorhomes are for those of us who want to be on the go. See the world. Travel the country. And tiny houses are for those of us who want to stay in one place, hold a job somewhere, run a business and enjoy living the simple life.
In conclusion, tiny houses are for living in full-time and only towing when you decide to move. Like once a year or less. Campers, travel trailers, and motorhomes are for those of us who want to travel the country.
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Young Wild and Tree House in Georgia is a Vintage Trailer Bus on Stilts - February 1, 2023
- Four Tumbleweed Tiny House Plans for Free (2023) - February 1, 2023
- Pre-owned Escape Tradition Tiny House For Sale - January 31, 2023