Gary Zuker is the owner of this little hobbit house in Texas.
In 1989 he built it by hand for about $25,000 and lots of labor.
The home took three years to complete.
He is a University of Texas computer engineer with no carpentry experience before this project.
In total, the space is about 830-square-feet with lots of open area.
Gary had the help of Pliny Fisk, a local sustainable building expert in Austin.
Here are some details on the materials used:
- Loblolly pine for scissor-truss system
- Limestone boulders for doorway, fireplace and foundation
- Stained-glass windows
- Salvaged windows, flooring and kitchen cabinets
Please don’t miss other exciting tiny homes – join our FREE Tiny House Newsletter!
Photos courtesy of Gary Zuker and Paul Bardagjy
The boulders you see on the foundation, around the doorway and later in the fireplace were purchased from a stone quarry about 10 miles away from the property.
The windows were all either reclaimed or hand made.
Looks pretty big in the picture below, but it’s still a relatively small house.
They’ve set up a beautiful little outdoor area in the back.
Inside the floor plan calls for a bathroom, work area, bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen and a loft. Let’s explore that…
The stone fireplace is beautiful, isn’t it?
Gary took the time to find recycled materials for most areas of the home.
The stone around the sink in the kitchen came from old benches from the University of Texas.
The base for this kitchen came out of an old pharmacy.
Gary’s wife is a stained-glass artist. She made many of the windows in the home.
Here’s the cozy bedroom.
Some windows were salvaged and the others were handmade by the couple.
Did you notice the loft up there? I thought that was really neat.
Photo Credits: Gary W. Zuker and Paul Bardagjy
What do you think about this hobbit house? Not so small, huh? Speak your mind in the comments.
More Like This
- Hobbit-Tree-House-Inspired Motorhome Conversion
- The Hobbit Tiny House Vacation in Lyons, Colorado
- Funkomatic Tiny Cabin by Hobbitat Spaces
- http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/staff/Zuker/Gary%20Zuker/ (August 4, 2011)
- http://www.bardagjyphoto.com/ (August 4, 2011)
You can share this using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you enjoyed this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more!
You can also join our Small House Newsletter!
Also, try our Tiny Houses For Sale Newsletter! Thank you!
More Like This: Small Houses
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- He’s Building a Tiny House with 6-ft. Jacuzzi Tub And Spiral Staircase (Still Under Construction) - January 14, 2021
- 2017 Escape Vista Tiny House in Portland, Oregon (For Sale) - January 14, 2021
- The 28-ft. Calliope Tiny House with Skylighted Bathroom by Rewild Homes - January 14, 2021