In this post you’re going to learn how to design and build your own version of a tiny house to scale.
This is a great way to play around with different ideas you might have before you actually start spending lots of money building your home.
It allows you to work out kinks and try out different concepts after you’ve gathered ideas for your future tiny house before you ever buy any of your materials.
And one of our readers, Dan Paquette, is going to show you exactly how to do it step by step in the video below.
How to Build your own Scaled 3D Tiny House Design (VIDEO)
What you’ll need before you start:
- 4 1/4 inch styrofoam sheets
- Marker & pencil
- Tape measurer
- Speed square
- Straight edge ruler or yard stick
- Nail pins to hold everything together
- Glue gun with glue sticks
- Masking tape
- Box cutter
Besides that you’ll just want to have plenty of ideas for your tiny house.
For example, you’d want to know some of the measurements for the windows, appliances, and furniture that you’re thinking about going with so you can scale them down accurately.
How to do it Step by Step
1. Have your ideas ready! This means you should have your general design chosen (8×20, 8×30, etc), favorite appliances, furniture, and everything else picked out with measurements ready to go.
2. Go get your materials that are outlined for you above.
3. If you’re using 1/12 scale, as shown in the video above, that means every 1 inch equals 1 foot. And every 1/8th inch equals 1 and 1/2 inches.
4. With those numbers in mind, you’re ready to begin converting your ideas into a real life scaled model tiny home!
For further reference, watch Dan’s video again below:
And be sure to click here and subscribe to his YouTube channel as he’ll be releasing more informative instructional videos based on his designs and future tiny house build.
If you enjoyed this tutorial on how to build your own scaled down model of a tiny house you’ll love our free daily tiny house newsletter with more!
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Christine’s Park Model Tiny House at the Village of Wildflowers - May 27, 2016
- Double Loft Tiny House (On Wheels) with Big Bathroom - May 27, 2016
- The Triton Tiny House - May 27, 2016