This post is going to show you a method called piling to help you get rid of your stuff fast.
In order to live in a tiny house or any other small space, most of us have to part with a lot of our belongings.
Even if you’re not downsizing in terms of space, it can feel great to get rid of some of the clutter around you. In the end I think you’ll feel lighter and happier. I sure did.
In particular I’m going to show you how to organize your belongings into appropriate piles that lead to action… and maybe even a few extra bucks in your pocket!
My recommendation is to do this in micro sections.
What I mean by that is, instead of focusing on entire bathroom, you’d do it one drawer at a time.
So for instance, instead of
You can do this on one hour a day or you can take a weekend and do it all day. That part’s up to you! The chunking part will just help you stay focused and be more productive.
Here’s what you need before taking action with this post: 1) A section of stuff to de-clutter. 2) Space to create three piles.
Once you’ve picked your first drawer or section of your home to declutter you are ready to go. This is going to be easy!
1. Take everything out of the area and set it up onto one big pile.
2. The next thing we’re going to do is divide it into three separate piles so that we know what to do with each.
3. One pile is to keep, the second is sell or give away, and the last one is to throw away in the garbage.
It’s really that simple and it can actually be fun (especially when you can make a few extra bucks parting with things). Now all you have to do is rinse and repeat with one area at a time of your home. Here are some areas around your house that you might be able to start with now:
- Laundry room
- Entertainment center
Bonus tip: If you feel kind of emotional while trying to get rid of something you’re attached to it can be helpful to take a photo of it. If that doesn’t help, it might not hurt to find a way to keep it if you like it so much. 🙂
If you liked this post, you’ll probably really enjoy Tammy Strobel’s new book You Can Buy Happiness (And It’s Cheap!). She and her husband have been living in a tiny house for a while now and her book talks all about it.
If you enjoyed these tips on how to get rid of your stuff using piling, “Like” and share using the buttons below then share your thoughts in the comments. Thanks!
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- 25-Foot Boho XL Tiny House with Private Main Floor Bedroom - January 19, 2019
- Tiny Cabin with Classic Wood Stove on 6.48 Forested Acres for $59,900 - January 18, 2019
- 20-Foot Tiny House You Can Order on Amazon with Main Floor Bedroom - January 16, 2019