≡ Menu

Discussion

Trailer v3

Tiny House Subfloor Design with Extra Insulation

Hi All, so hopefully this picture is clear enough (click for largest version).  I’m finalizing my trailer design for a house that we hope will be sufficiently warm in cold climates.  In order to get extra insulation without sacrificing too much head room, i’ve tried to get a few extra inches of insulation between the [...]

{ 11 comments }
Tiny House Parking

5 Tips for Parking a Tiny House Legally

Do you want to live in a tiny house but are worried about where to put it? You’re not alone! It’s one of the most common obstacles for tiny living, “where can I park it legally?!” In this video, Mat and Danielle from Exploring Alternatives give you 5 helpful tips to help you figure out where and [...]

{ 7 comments }
Life Inside A Box Cost to Build Tiny House 01

Life Inside A Box: How Much Did Our Tiny House Cost?

This is a breakdown of what the couple behind Life Inside A Box paid to build their own tiny house on wheels. Their total final cost was…. $34,667.23 This includes tools, renting a location to build, registering the trailer, appliances, materials, the trailer, etc. They contracted out the insulation, drywall, or kitchen countertops. Besides that, [...]

{ 16 comments }
Video Tour Zyl Vardos’ First Tiny House 3

Ask Zyl Live: Get Your Tiny House Questions Answered by a Pro!

Did you know Abel Zyl of Zyl Vardos hosts an “Ask Zyl Live” series on YouTube every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. PST? It’s true! If you’ve seen his homes, you’ll know Zyl is a master craftsman, so getting to pick his brain every week is a real treat. Last week he spent an hour answering [...]

{ 10 comments }
Minim Home 3

Minim Home: How This Man’s Tiny House Changed D.C.’s Tiny House Laws

You’ve probably seen the Minim Home, it’s a sleek and modern 210 sq. ft. tiny house designed by Brian Levy. But did you know Levy’s story? After building a house for himself, he started selling the plans for his build. But now, you can purchase the house, fully-decked-out, on his website. Even better? His first [...]

{ 6 comments }
screenshot-2016-11-01-at-11-07-43

Living Tiny Legally: Three Part Docu-Series

We at Tiny House Talk show you a lot of examples of where you can purchase a tiny house, how you can build your own, and what your tiny house could look like — But what about living tiny legally once you get your dream home? We’ve discussed that to some extent here and here, [...]

{ 18 comments }
Austin Real Estate Photographer

Why do Tiny Houses Cost so Much?

We hear it all the time…Why do tiny houses cost so much? Folks on the coasts or in big cities (who could easily pay $400-900K for a home) typically understand it, but if you are from a more rural spot where you can get a regular home for $70,000, the cost of tiny house can seem [...]

{ 96 comments }