Want to tour some tiny houses on wheels, a shipping container home, small backyard cottage homes, or real tiny home villages for the houseless? Then head to Portland, Oregon on November 3-5 for the Build Small Live Large Summit! This multi-day event has something for everyone! Here’s a run-down on what’s happening, including photos of all the great spaces and places you can visit as part of the event.
Friday, November 3: The Summit and Free Tiny House Tours!
The main event of Build Small Live Large is the Friday Summit, where national leaders in design, development and real estate, and advocates for small, sustainable and affordable housing, will gather for a full-day conference about innovative small home projects across the country. The Summit focuses mainly on accessory dwelling units (ADUs), which are more commonly known as backyard cottages, granny flats or mother-in-law apartments.
One Summit session focuses on how ADUs can help fight the displacement of citizens from their communities, featuring speakers working on this issue in Portland, Austin, Los Angeles and the Bay Area. Another session explores innovative ways to use ADUs and tiny homes villages as transitional housing for the houseless.
If you’re a professional or advocate in these industries and fields, please join us!
Or if you just want to tour through some great tiny houses in person, for free, come by Portland’s South Park Blocks all day long! We’ll have five tiny homes on wheels and a shipping container home open for touring all day, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm! Each home will have a builder or representative on hand to answer questions. Here are some of the great builders and homes you’ll find there:
TruForm Tiny Houses
Modern Dwellings PDX
Real Wood Tiny Homes
Tiny Mountain Houses
The St. Helens High School Tiny House Project
Learn more about the builders and how to attend this tour on the Tiny House Tours page!
Saturday, November 4 – Small Home and Houseless Village Tours!
The Summit is also hosting two exciting tours. These tours are open to anyone and don’t require registering for the Summit, but do require advance registration and a small fee.
- The ADU and Small Home Tour will give participants a chance to tour small accessory homes and some other creative small housing types, including the Caravan Tiny House Hotel. This is the last ADU tour in Portland before the fees to build them are slated to increase next summer by almost $14,000 per project. Learn more and register for the ADU and Small Home Tour here!
- Interested in how tiny houses can be used as transitional housing for the houseless? This unique educational talk and guided tour of tiny home villages for the houseless will share how these communities operate, and how communities can band together to build them. One community featured will be the Kenton Women’s Village, a new community for houseless women using “sleeping pod” structures designed and built by Portland’s architectural community, students and volunteer organizations.
Sunday, November 5 – Workshops!
On Sunday, interested homeowners can take a free, one-hour introductory session on how to develop an ADU, or take a full-day, deep-dive workshop on how to develop an ADU from start to finish from ADU expert, consultant and educator Kol Peterson.
Latest posts by Billy Ulmer (see all)
- Tour homes on wheels, backyard cottages and tiny homes for the houseless! - October 18, 2017
- Cider Box Tiny House Plans 40% Off – Now With Editable 3D Model! - June 12, 2017
- Buying a Tiny House? Read This First! - February 6, 2017