In this article you’ll find what I believe are the top 5 composting toilet options for tiny houses, cabins, or even if you just want to put a toilet somewhere without plumbing and/or electric. It could be your garage, shed, or travel trailer.
If you’re here, you should already have a general idea about composting toilets as an alternative to water-hungry flush toilets. If you’re new to the idea, and interested in learning more, I highly recommend The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins so you can learn exactly how it all works.
If you’re interested, but not that interested… You can learn about composting for free in this post I put together a while back on how general composting toilets work and what you have to do in regards to owning and operating one.
Otherwise please continue by enjoying the top 5 composting toilet options for your current or future tiny house project. Whether it’s a cabin in the woods, or a tiny house on wheels in your backyard.
Top 5 Composting Toilets for Tiny Houses
1. Nature’s Head Dry Composting Toilet with Standard Crank Handle
- Costs about $960
- Hand crank agitator
- Easy to install
- Slip hinge for easy seat removal
- Molded design
- Includes 5′ vent hose, bottle camp, and 12v power plug
- Built in urine diversion
- 13 inches wide x 17.75 inches front to rear and 20 inches tall
Learn more: http://amzn.to/1Nq8oUw
2. Nature’s Head Composting Toilet with Close Quarters Spider Handle
- Costs about $960
- Great for areas with no electric or plumbing
- Low volume air circulation fan built into head
- Comes with 5 year limited warranty
- Separates urine with built in diverter
Learn more: http://amzn.to/1aT116Y
Tips/Extras for Nature’s Head Toilets:
- Buy an extra urine diversion tank ($40) because they can fill quickly: http://amzn.to/1OmMrmn
- Upgrade to solar powered vent ($199): http://amzn.to/1DvsxCd
3. Sun-Mar Excel Non-Electric Self-Contained Composting Toilet
- Costs about: $1750
- Non-electric model is great for off-grid
- Low profile unity
- Doesn’t use any water
- Weighs about 90 lbs
- Dimensions: 33″ (L) x 22 1/2″ (W) x 32″ (H)
Learn more: http://amzn.to/1Fxfo8I
4. Reliance Products’ Luggable Loo 5 Gallon Toilet
- Costs about $40
- Go ultra simple with a 5 gallon bucket toilet
- Economically priced and portable
- Traditional snap on lid
- Perfect for hunting, fishing, camping, or an outhouse
- Keep it simple, and save lots of money
Learn more: http://amzn.to/1DvsUN1
5. DIY Bucket and Sawdust Composting Toilet Option
You can always just build one yourself! This book shows you how. But it’s pretty simple! It’s the bucket and sawdust DIY option and will only cost you anywhere from $25 to $50 to build it yourself. Or it might be free for you if you have all the materials already laying around. Below is an example of what that might look like:
Learn more with this book: http://amzn.to/1aAPrNl
Images © gtzecosan
If you found this information on composting toilets helpful you can share it with your friends and family for free using the e-mail and social media re-share buttons below. Thanks.
If you enjoyed this tiny house story you’ll absolutely LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with even more! Thank you!