I put together this post so you can take a look behind the scenes at what we’re doing and what’s going on with Tiny House Talk.
Basically, the “behind the scenes” series will be where I publicly discuss improvements we’re making for our site.
This is also a chance for you to share your ideas for improvements in the comments. And I’m excited to consider every idea that comes our way.
Tiny House Talk Writers: Here’s What Happened
The first thing I want to touch on is our new writers and those of you who applied but haven’t heard back from me because I feel really bad about this. I’m very sorry if you haven’t heard back from me.
When I decided to let people apply for writing positions I didn’t know how many responses I was going to get and got completely overwhelmed by it. The whole thing was basically mismanaged by me but I’ve learned a lot from it so far.
AND we ended up with a some really awesome writers: thank you so much to Vincent Baudoin, Laura LaVoie, Jane Dwinell, Hari Berzins, Laura Norcross, Sherry Willis, and Mariah Pastell for their contributions so far.
For now, aside from a few others who may still start contributing, I’m not accepting anymore writers until I get used to handling what we have and can gain enough time aside to write more myself while managing everything else.
Last thing- thank you so much for applying if you did so. And if you’re a reader, thank you so much for reading. You are all so important to me and I promise I’ll get better at handling my email.
On a side note, above is a photo of my new office for THT which is in my little apartment’s living room. 🙂
Tiny House Talk Forums and Listings
Some of our readers suggested that we put together our own forums and listings area to enhance our community. I decided to listen and try out the idea.
After trying it out I’ve decided to shut both of them down. I want us to continue communicating ideas in the comments of blog posts instead of creating an entire separate community as a forum or classifieds. And if you want to sell your own small space or find a tiny house to buy, I recommend using Steven Harrell’s Tiny House Listings website or my friend Dan Louche’s Tiny House Marketplace.
Thank you so much to those of you who signed up and have so far participated in the forums. If you’re a forum member and contribute there, I’m inviting you to come back over here to the blog instead and share your ideas here (in the comments) from now on because the forums will soon be gone.
Announcements for 2013
I have many new and old ideas that are coming into reality this year. Some of which I’ll announce later. Many are just minor improvements to Tiny House Talk which I’ve had in mind for a while.
Here is some of what I’ve changed recently:
- Removed the forums and for sale features from the menu
- Reorganized the categories on the navigation menu (still in the works and I’m open to suggestions below)
- New category template for the website (lists post titles in large text)
- New theme/design that’s more lightweight and clean which helps load time
- We finally got our own high end dedicated server so that the site doesn’t slow down or crash anymore when we send out our newsletter
And here’s what’s in the works right now (coming soon):
- New exclusive audio interviews with tiny house people that I’ll be giving away to current and new email subscribers
- A better looking Top Posts & Pages links on the sidebar (going to make it look way better using CSS)
- Bigger Next / Previous buttons at the bottom and possibly even the top of posts, categories and archives
- Updates to our Tiny House Plans eBook to include all of the latest plans that are available to the market
- Update to our Tiny House Workshop Catalog to include the unbelievable amount of workshops for 2013
Any ideas you think I should hear about? I’d love to read them. Feel free to share any ideas that you think would make Tiny House Talk better below. Even if it’s something little. Thanks.
There’s much more in the works too! Thanks for reading and if you have any ideas that you think will make Tiny House Talk better, please share them in the comments below and I’ll always consider testing it out. Thank you!
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- 803 Sq. Ft. Tiny Home on 2 Acres in Ashland City, Tennessee for $139,000 OBO - April 17, 2019
- She added a porch to her tiny house in the woods… - April 14, 2019
- 28-foot Lightweight Gooseneck Tiny House: The Tucson by Rocky Mountain Tiny Houses - April 11, 2019