Twelve steps is all it takes from the patio doors of my bedroom to the writing cottage where I spend much of my time.
This place of my own where I can write, read, retreat, relax, sit in stillness, create and dream. Built with the loving and skillful hands of my carpenter husband, John, he dubbed it Myspace.calm when it was complete. It was then that I realized he truly understood how important this is to me.
Here is where I wrote my two children’s books (including Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog) and my memoir about my dachshund, Frankie, who was in a wheelchair due to paralysis from a disc disease. I also founded National Walk ‘N Roll Dog Day in her memory and started The Frankie Wheelchair Fund. To date, the fund has granted 30 wheelchairs to paralyzed dogs in need.
Six large windows surround my writing desk so I feel as if I am out in nature. A small half-moon shaped window with a stained glass rendering of my second dog, Joie who was also in a wheelchair, makes me smile each time I look up from my laptop.
It is in this space that I share my heart through writing for my blog, Joyful Paws. It is here that my constant companion at my feet is my dachshund, Gidget. It is here that I find solace and dream of new adventures and projects. It is here that I am authentically me.
Author Barbara Techel’s Walk ‘N Roll Tiny Writing Cottage
Images © Barbara Techel
- The Frankie Wheelchair Fund (Help dogs in need get wheels)
- Dogs who’ve been helped so far
- Barbara’s Memoir on Frankie (her Dachshund)
- Barbara’s children’s book, Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog
- Barbara’s blog, Joyful Paws
If you enjoyed this tiny writing cottage you’ll LOVE our free daily tiny house newsletter with more!
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- 240 Sq. Ft. Tiny Cabin on Wheels (For Sale – $30k) - October 21, 2016
- How to Tidy Up Your Life And Live Tiny (Or Not!) - October 20, 2016
- 420 Sq. Ft. Ben Lomond Cabin - October 20, 2016