This is The Oasis, a 600 sq. ft. wheelchair-friendly home.
Designed by Larry Stauffer, of Larry’s Home Designs.
Wheelchair-Bound Designer Creates Handicap-Accessible Oasis Home Plans
- 600 Square Feet, plus 160 Square Foot Front Porch.
- 2 Bedrooms, 1 Handicap-Accessible Bath, Living Room, Dining Room and Kitchen with a lowered section of countertop.
- Stacked Washer/Dryer in the bathroom.
- Site-Built Post and Beam Foundation and Floor System.
- SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels) for Walls & Roof.
- Current insulation design is R-24 Walls and R-40 Roof.
- 2 x 4 Interior Wall Framing bought locally.
- Windows and Doors bought locally, openings are precut in factory.
- Electric conduit and boxes installed in factory.
- Full Materials List included, all bought locally.
- Complete Permit-Ready Plans.
- Design is Code-Compliant.
- Plan Price – $475.00
- SIPs Package Price – $15,967.75 plus Tax (if applicable)
- Shipping will be calculated based on buyer’s location, anywhere in 48 states.
- Larry’s Home Designs is located in Lancaster County, PA and does custom home designs all over the United States.
Press Release (Excerpted):
Larry Stauffer, the owner of Larry’s Home Designs, was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (a neuromuscular condition that severely hinders muscle development) at the age of 18 months and has been living in a wheelchair since the age of 4. Growing up in a construction family, he always had an interest in building things. His father advised him to study home design if he wanted to be involved in the construction industry. He never looked back.
In September of 2016 he stumbled upon the tiny house movement. After browsing through a lot of websites and seeing the compact nature of most tiny houses, ideas for wheelchair-accessible tiny houses began to form.
Why wheelchair-accessible tiny houses?
Larry knows from experience how expensive the handicap lifestyle can be. Wheelchairs, transfer lifts, a wheelchair van for transportation, etc.. Not to mention the day-to-day cost of living in a full-size house.
Unfortunately statistics indicate that the national average of employment levels is significantly lower for individuals with disabilities. A typical house can be financially out of reach for a lot of disabled people, yet the dream of home ownership and the pride that goes with it can still be strong. 25+ years of home design expertise and overcoming the numerous challenges of personal disability has prepared Larry to address this issue.
He states, “Bridging the gap between a dream and the reality of making home ownership affordable for more people through tiny wheelchair-accessible houses is a real mission for me. It is an honor being able to draw upon my extensive day-to-day experiences with disability that positions me in a way that most designers cannot relate with their clients .”
After looking at Tiny Houses on Wheels, and their tighter space as well as the need to use a portable ramp to access it, Larry came up with 2 models for wheelchair-users (or anyone who prefers one-floor living) that provide sufficient space for a wheelchair or walker-user who wants a simple place to call their own.
This is the Oasis. His other model, The Legend, will be shown soon!
Want to purchase the plans or kit?
Contact Larry’s House Plans Guide:
Share this with your friends/family using the e-mail/social re-share buttons below. Thanks!
If you liked this you’ll LOVE our Free Daily Tiny House Newsletter with more! Thank you!
More Like This: Explore our Tiny Houses Section
See The Latest: Go Back Home to See Our Latest Tiny Houses
Natalie C. McKee
Latest posts by Natalie C. McKee (see all)
- Falling Leaves Tiny Home For Sale in Cedar Park, Texas – Price Reduced - September 18, 2017
- Andréanne and Nathaniel’s Tiny House by Lumbec - July 6, 2017
- SimBLISSity 26′ Tahosa Tiny House For Sale, Lyons CO - July 6, 2017