So you’re seriously thinking about building your own tiny house on a trailer and wondering, “how the heck am I going to tow this thing around?”
That’s a normal concern and something we all face when considering doing the same thing. There are lots of questions that might come to your mind, as did mine, like:
- Will I need a truck? If so, what kind?
- Can I rent something instead?
- How much does a tiny house weigh when it’s finished?
- What do you do with your stuff inside to prevent it from getting throwing around during the transit?
What kind of truck will I need, if that’s what I want to do?
Personally- I don’t think I would purchase a heavy duty truck just for this because if I built a tiny house on a trailer, I wouldn’t move it all that often. And when I’d want to do that, I’d just rent one or pay a friend to do it for me since in the end this turns out being more cost effective than purchasing my own heavy duty vehicle for towing.
Heck, another idea is to hire a tow truck to move it around for you when needed. But let’s say you did want to have your own truck to move it around in for whatever reason. Maybe you want to move about a lot more than I would. In that case, I’d go with a travel trailer, but to each their own, right?
Here are a list of heavy duty trucks that can pull a tiny house on wheels without question:
- Dodge Ram 2500 & 3500
- Ford F-250 & F-350
- Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD & 3500HD
- GMC Sierra 2500HD
Renting Instead of Buying a Truck of Your Own
Again, this is the route that I’d take if I built my own home on wheels. I’d either have a friend or family member help me out if that’s possible or I’d do one of the following:
- Rent a U-Haul box truck as Jay Shafer has done before and as recently, Evan & Gabby have done with their 7,800 pound home.
- Hire a tow truck driver to do it for you when you need to move it, as a recent builder of tiny homes has done (see 2nd photo)
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Tiny Barn Cabin For Sale with Land and RV Hook Ups - August 30, 2014
- 384 Sq. Ft. Tiny Cabin For Sale with Land - August 29, 2014
- 576 Sq. Ft. Tiny Cabin For Sale with Land - August 29, 2014